Its first name was Taurunum. The oldest records of the present-day name of the town date back to the 12th century. It emanated from the Slavic word “zemlin” (earthen) and it is assumed that the name refers to the earthwork of the town. Zemun, once a separate town, has been within the community of Belgrade municipalities since 1945.
Millenary Monument in Zemun on Gardoš hill was erected in 1896 to mark the 1000th anniversary (896-1896) of the founding of the Hungarian state. The present tower was constructed of stone and brick as a “vidikovac” or viewing tower on the summit of Gardoš Hill. Its architecture shows different styles, with romantic elements predominating. It has been wrongly connected with the historical personality of Janos Hunyadi. Today the tower is the place of various cultural activities.
St. Nikolaj’s church is located at the old historical center of Zemun beneath the mediaeval Gardoš fortress. It was built in 1725-1731 in baroque style, as a single-nave building with a two-storied bell-tower. It has all the characteristics of baroque temples built in Srem in the XVIII century. The interior is decorated with a richly carved iconostasis, bearing icons painted in 1762 by Dimitrije Bačević, one of the most famous Serbian painters of the second half of XVIII century. The church has one of the most valuable collections of old cultic objects, as well as a collection of XVIII and XIX-century icons. The relics of Saint Apostle Andrew, the First-called, are kept in this church.
City Tour Belgrade
In our offer we have personal guided sightseeing tours in English language with gay guide. We offer professional and qualified touristic guide for your sightseeing and touring needs that include full range of guide services for individual gay travelers and groups as well. We offer 3 types of guided tours: by public transportation, by car, and on foot.
We charge 85 Euro for cc. 5 hours Belgrade sightseeing tour.