Knez Mihailova street is a pedestrian zone and
an important shopping center - protected by
law as one of the oldest and most valuable monumental
complexes of the city, with a large number of
representative buildings and urban houses built
at the end of 1870s. It is thought that in as
early as the Roman times there was the center
of the Singidunum settlement. In this area,
at the time of Turks, there were winding streets
with gardens, drinking-fountains and mosques.
In the middle XIX century, in the upper part
of the street was the garden of Knez Aleksandar
Karađorđevic. After the making of
the regulation plan of Belgrade in 1867, by
Emilijan Josimović, the street has soon
been built and gained its physionomy and content.
The houses have been built there and the most
influential and wealthiest families of the commercial
and political society of Belgrade came to live
there. In 1870, the city authorities officially
gave a name to this street - Ulica Kneza Mihaila.
Square covers the space between the "Gradska
Kafana" (City Coffee House /Restaurant),
"Jadran" cinema, the National Theatre
and the Army Hall of Serbia.
Theatre is b built in 1869 according to the
design of Aleksandar Bugarski, the most productive
architect of Belgrade in the XIX century.
The decision to construct a special building
for the theater was made by Knez Mihailo Obrenović.
The building was a typical theater building
of the time and was particularly reminiscent
of La Scala, Milan, with regard to its Renaissance
conception and the decorative finish. Later
reconstructions, completely changed the original
appearance. The heavy reconstruction was made
in 1986 when the theater regained the 1922
look and an annex was built towards Braće
Street. Beside theatrical purposes, the hall
has been used for charity balls and concerts
during the XIX century. The Great Constitutional
Assembly adopted the famous 1888 Constitution
in this building.
original corpus against the Trg republike,
was built in 1902 according to the design
of Andra Stevanović and Nikola Nestorović.
The part facing Laza Paču Street was
built in 1930, when the counter-hall (today
the atrium of the National Museum) was arranged.
In World War II the building was heavily damaged,
and after the war it was rebuilt without the
dome it has today. In the sixties, thanks
to the efforts of then the manager of the
National Museum, Dr. Lazar Trifunović,
the central dome was back in place, and the
interior arranged, so that today it fully
serves its purpose.
is the most famous square in Belgrade. It
started to take shape as an urban feature
in the first half of the XIX century. At the
end of the XIX and beginning of the XX century,
Terazije was the center of social life of
Belgrade. The most important hotels, restaurants
and shops were located here. Today on Terazije
square is hotel Moskva built in 1906.
our offer we have personal guided sightseeing
tours in English language with gay guide.
We offer professional and qualified touristic
guide for your sightseeing and touring needs
that include full range of guide services
for individual gay travelers and groups as
well. We offer 3 types of guided tours: by
public transportation, by car, and on foot.
We charge 85 Euro for cc. 5 hours Belgrade
sightseeing tour reservation: