Knez Mihailova street is a pedestrian zone and an important shopping center – protected by law as one of the oldest and most valuable monumental complexes of the city, with a large number of representative buildings and urban houses built at the end of 1870s. It is thought that in as early as the Roman times there was the center of the Singidunum settlement. In this area, at the time of Turks, there were winding streets with gardens, drinking-fountains and mosques. In the middle XIX century, in the upper part of the street was the garden of Knez Aleksandar Karađorđevic. After the making of the regulation plan of Belgrade in 1867, by Emilijan Josimović, the street has soon been built and gained its physionomy and content. The houses have been built there and the most influential and wealthiest families of the commercial and political society of Belgrade came to live there. In 1870, the city authorities officially gave a name to this street – Ulica Kneza Mihaila.
Republic Square covers the space between the “Gradska Kafana” (City Coffee House /Restaurant), “Jadran” cinema, the National Theatre and the Army Hall of Serbia.
National Theatre is b built in 1869 according to the design of Aleksandar Bugarski, the most productive architect of Belgrade in the XIX century. The decision to construct a special building for the theater was made by Knez Mihailo Obrenović.The building was a typical theater building of the time and was particularly reminiscent of La Scala, Milan, with regard to its Renaissance conception and the decorative finish. Later reconstructions, completely changed the original appearance. The heavy reconstruction was made in 1986 when the theater regained the 1922 look and an annex was built towards Braće Jugovića Street. Beside theatrical purposes, the hall has been used for charity balls and concerts during the XIX century. The Great Constitutional Assembly adopted the famous 1888 Constitution in this building.
The original corpus against the Trg republike, was built in 1902 according to the design of Andra Stevanović and Nikola Nestorović. The part facing Laza Paču Street was built in 1930, when the counter-hall (today the atrium of the National Museum) was arranged. In World War II the building was heavily damaged, and after the war it was rebuilt without the dome it has today. In the sixties, thanks to the efforts of then the manager of the National Museum, Dr. Lazar Trifunović, the central dome was back in place, and the interior arranged, so that today it fully serves its purpose.
Terazije is the most famous square in Belgrade. It started to take shape as an urban feature in the first half of the XIX century. At the end of the XIX and beginning of the XX century, Terazije was the center of social life of Belgrade. The most important hotels, restaurants and shops were located here. Today on Terazije square is hotel Moskva built in 1906.
City Tour Belgrade
In our offer we have personal guided sightseeing tours in English language with gay guide. We offer professional and qualified touristic guide for your sightseeing and touring needs that include full range of guide services for individual gay travelers and groups as well. We offer 3 types of guided tours: by public transportation, by car, and on foot.
We charge 85 Euro for cc. 5 hours Belgrade sightseeing tour.