The first design for the Palace of the Assembly was made by Konstantin A. Jovanović in 1891. At the open competition of 1901 for the building on the area near the Batal mosque, the winning work was that of Jovan Ilkić, which is, in fact, a variant of Jovanović’s solution. The construction of the palace began in 1907, and the cornerstone was laid by King Petar I. The construction was not finished until 1936. It was designed in the manner of academic traditionalism, with rich interior decoration, made by, at that time, most famous artists and craftsmen. In 1939, a monumental sculptural group made by the famous sculptor Toma Rosandić was placed in front of the main entrance. It was named Black horses are playing.
City Palaces: The City Palaces are located at the center of Belgrade. The Old Palace, the Royal Palace of the Obrenović dynasty of Serbia, presently housing the City Assembly of Belgrade, is situated at the corner of Kralja Milana and Dragoslava Jovanovića streets. It was built between 1882 and 1884, according to the design of Aleksandar Bugarski, in the style of academia of the XIX century, with intention to surpass all existing residences of the Serbian rulers. An English author Herbert Vivien, who visited the Old Palace by the end of the XIX century, described in detail its interior: “At the left side, there is a fine ball room, with walls of lemon-yellow color, with huge white luster of Venetian glass, glistening nicely during the state festivities, lit by electric light. After passing the large reception hall, you enter the banquet hall. Everything is glistening in that hall: starting from the floor up to the carved mahogany table. Some sixty guests may be seated around that table. Leather-upholstered chairs are of the color of autumn leaves. What is most impressive, is the good taste characterizing all objects, both those for use and the adornments. The admiration is even more caused by the beautiful carved ceilings, inherited from the Turkish era and fashion…”
The New Palace: This is adjacent to the Old Palace built during the Balkan Wars and The Great War 1913-1918. The Architect was Stojan Titelbah, and the unfinished building was heavily damaged during the Austrian bombing of Belgrade so that a thorough reconstruction had to take place before the Court officially moved in. The New Palace was put to regular from 1922 until the completion of the Royal Palace of Dedinje, it was the official Home of King Aleksandar I and Queen Maria. The New Palace was the living quarters of the Royal Couple and King’s Cabinet, and it was here that King and Queen entertained their private guests. After the assassination of the King in Marseilles in 1934, The New Palace was used as temporary location for the Museum of Prince Paul.
The building for the Railway Station was constructed in 1884, on a reclaimed area of what used to be the Venice pool. It was made by the ideas of the Viennese architect von Schlicht and the plans of the architect Dragutin Milutinović, the professor at the Faculty of Engineering of the Great School in Belgrade. In that time, it represented a very successful solution, by the harmony of architectural forms as well as by spatial organization. It is in the group of architectural projects which, in the Principality and later Kingdom of Serbia, represented the first acceptance and development of technical achievements of Europe of that period.
Konak Kneginje Ljubice was built in 1829-1831 under the supervision of Hadži-Nikola Živković, the pioneer of Serbian architecture in the first half of XIX century. By the order of Knez Miloš Obrenović it was built as a living place for his family, Kneginja (Princess) Ljubica and sons – Milan and Mihailo. The building is preserved until today as a most representative urban house of the first half of XIX century. Its design has all the characteristics of Oriental architecture, and its variant, so-called Serbian-Balkan style, but containing decorative elements of classicism which announced the influence of the West on the national architecture in the early period of renewal of Serbian state. Since the throning of Aleksandar Karađorđević in 1842, the building has been used as a Lice, Court of Cassation and Appeal Court, Museum of Art, Church Museum, Senior Home, Bureau for Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia, an today it is a part of the Museum of the City of Belgrade and it is used for exhibitions of museum material and paintings. The permanent exhibition in the Konak consists of original furniture, made in Oriental-Balkan style as well as in other styles of that time (classicism, Biedermeier, neo-baroque).
St. Mark’s Church at Tašmajdan was built in the 1931-1940 period at the place where the old church from 1835 used to be. It was designed by architects Petar and Branko Krstić, in neo-Byzantine style. By general architectural conception, forms and polychrome of facades, this temple is most like the Gračanica monastery. The equipping and decoration of the temple is still unfinished. At the south part is a sarcophagus with the remains of Car Dušan, brought here from his endowment, the monastery of St. Michael the Archangel near Prizren.
The temple is located in the eastern part of Svetosavski Trg. The construction preparations have lasted for a very long time, ever since 1894. At the second open competition in 1926 the architectural design of the architect Bogdan Nestorović was selected, with later incorporation of several elements of the project of the architect Aleksandar Deroko. The consecration of the foundations was made by Patriarch Varnava on September 15, 1935, and when the works have moved ahead, Patriarch Gavrilo consecrated and placed the charter in the altar, next to the cornerstone on May 27, 1939. Further construction was interrupted by the German attack on Yugoslavia on April 6, 1941. It was not until the summer 1984 that the state permission was obtained to continue the construction works, so on April 30, 1985, the temple, desecrated by war and human negligence, was consecrated again by Patriarch German in the presence of all Serbian hierarchies, and the charter on continuing construction works in new historical circumstances was laid again. Branko Pešić, an architect and university professor was appointed protomaster of the construction. Although still under construction, this monumental temple represents an organic part of modern vivid image of Belgrade, being one of its main features.
City Tour Belgrade
In our offer we have personal guided sightseeing tours in English language with gay guide. We offer professional and qualified touristic guide for your sightseeing and touring needs that include full range of guide services for individual gay travelers and groups as well. We offer 3 types of guided tours: by public transportation, by car, and on foot.
We charge 85 Euro for cc. 5 hours Belgrade sightseeing tour.